WHEATON DNA Project
Including: Wheaton, Wheeton, Whetene, Wheten, Wheaten, Weeton, Weaton, Wetton, Whetton, Wheadon, Whedon, Wheedon, Wheddon, Whedden, Wheden, Wheaden, Weedon, Weadon or variations
Wondering where you fit in? A Y-DNA 37 marker test is $119 To join the FTDNA WHEATON DNA project click here
This site is intended to give the Wheaton family researcher access to additional resources beyond and including family trees. Jean Wheaton’s Website Wheaton One Name is migrating here. We are interested in Wheatons world wide, including all spelling variations listed above. For simplicity’s sake I use the name WHEATON but it is intended to be all inclusive. DNA testing has revealed the relationship of WHEATONs with other surnames. Anyone matching our profiles is welcome to join. The goal is to resolve our common ancestry and not to run some exclusive club. Quick links to the various sites associated with our project are at the bottom of this page.
FREE Y-DNA KIT
If you are a direct male descendant of Christopher Wheaton of Hull, MA (Some descendants settled in Barre, VT) or a descendant of Robert Wheaton’s son Obadiah Wheaton who lived in Boston, MA I will provide a FREE Kit for demonstrated lineage. I will also provide a kit or subsidized kit to men with recent direct Wheaton heritage in Wales or Somerset, England in some cases. A kit may be partially or fully paid depending on how useful the results are to furthering our work.
ABOUT the WHEATON SURNAME DNA Project
This a surname specific genetic genealogical Project. We are looking for Wheaton surnamed males who are willing to be DNA tested to unravel the origins of the Wheaton, Wheadon, Whetton, Weeton, Weddon etc. more definitively. We use Y-STR (Paternal) markers to identify Wheaton Families by Patriarchal ancestors. There are no geographic limitations. Also open to any other surnames who match any of our profiles.
If you are a female Wheaton (like myself) you may participate by encouraging your male surnamed Wheaton relatives to be tested. I also accept atDNA from anyone not surnamed Wheaton but descended from one of our Wheaton families.
I am interested in documenting all those surnamed Wheaton and not just those that track back to a particular patriarch. I hope that most administrators feel similarly. So rest assured we aren’t going to throw you off the bus. It could be that your claim to a surname is older than the patriarchs we have currently identified. Sometimes it is clear that your ancestry reflects a completely different surname and in such cases I suggest joining the appropriate surname group. This is when you match many men of another surname and do not match any surnamed Wheaton.
- Facilitate the sharing of Wheaton genealogical information
- Collect DNA data on Wheaton Wheadon, Wetton etc. or others who match our Patriarch profiles.
- Identify connections between English Families and their emigrants to Australia, the United States and Canada
- Identify and connect Patriarchs with their descendants
- Provide helpful resources for the Wheaton researcher
- WHEDDONs or WHEDONs from Somersetshire, England
- WHETTONs or WETTONs from Staffordshire, England
- WHEATONs and WHEADONs of Australia
- Descendants of all of Robert WHEATON’s sons especially Obadiah originally from Massachusetts
- Descendants of Christopher WHEATON of Hull, Massachusetts (not currently represented in our database)
DNA Identified lines in ENGLAND are:
- WHEATON of SE Devon: Sidmouth
- WHEATON of Devon: Coldridge, Winkleigh & Brixham
- WHEATON of North Devon
- WHEADON in Devon near Axminster
- WHETTON WETTON of Staffordshire (later WHEATON in Huntingdonshire and Cambridgeshire)
- WEETON of Lancashire near Kirkham (no results)
- WHEEDON of Norfolk (no results)
DNA Identified lines in UNITED STATES & CANADA:
There are now 5 major Wheaton lines in the US and Canada. Those assumed to be descended from corresponding lines in England.
- Robert WHEATON bc. 1606 (presumed to be of Somerset, England) who was at Salem, MA 1636, and Rehoboth, MA by 1646. From Robert came the founders of Wheaton College.
- Thomas WHEADON bc.1635 Axminster, Devon, England who settled New Haven, Connecticut 1657. Some descendants of Thomas adopted the Wheaton spelling. Actor Wil Wheaton and Wheaton Van Lines are from Thomas Wheadon.
- Uriah WHEATON bc.17?? of New Jersey
- WHEADON of Newfoundland, Canada
- WHETTON, WETTON later WHEATON of Staffordshire of Huntingdonshire and Cambridgeshire)
Summary of Robert WHEATON & Thomas WHEADON descendants
Robert Wheaton Group B had 7 sons (There is a slight increase in mutations depending on the age of the father at conception) Those in bold we have results for. Those in red are needed.
1) Joseph bc 1641, (Robert was about 35). Joseph had no children (end of line)
2) Samuel bc 1643, 3 sons (all with sons, line continues)
3) Jeremiah bc 1645, 4 sons; only one surviving he with one son no male issue (end of line)
4) Obadiah born 1647 3 sons. Lived in Boston, Milton and Scituate (this is a line for which we may have results but cannot connect them via paper trail)
5) John born 1650 (Robert is now 45) John has 7 sons, 2 known to have survived & had male issue
6) Ephraim born 1659 (Robert now 54) He has 4 sons all with male issue (very strong line)
7) Benjamin born 1661 (Robert now 56) He has 4 sons, 2 survived and have male issue
1) Christopher bc 1646 Not proven to be a son (not mentioned in will could be cousin or brother to Robert or be completely unrelated) He has one known son: that son having 3 sons. He lived in Hull and Hingham, MA. Known descendants in Barre, VT.
We have results from confirmed descendants of Ephraim, Benjamin, and John. (Lines of Jeremiah and Joseph ended) Need volunteers for descendants of Christopher, Obadiah.
Thomas Wheadon Group C 4 matches. He had 2 sons (several of these branches changed their name to Wheaton) Group C
1) Thomas Jr. 4 sons (3 surviving all with male issue)
2) John 4 sons (at least 3 with male issue)
DNA identified lines in AUSTRALIA:
There are are at least 5 Australian Wheaton families with roots in Devon England and one connected to the Huntingdonshire Wheaton family. So far we have connected to:
WHEATON of SE Devon: Sidmouth
WHEADON in Devon: near Axminster
How many descendants are we talking about of Robert and Thomas in the United States?
Well I counted the number of known male Wheaton/Wheadon surnamed descendants in the first 5 generations (to Generation 6). These are only the ones we can connect by paper trail. There are many more un-assigned families:
Robert Wheaton 298
Thomas Wheadon 114
So we have more than 400 Wheaton progeny of Robert and Thomas in the US. Add their sons plus another 30 arrivals from England to the US 1800-1900, plus 20 or so from Scotland, Ireland and Wales and it’s clear there’s many Wheatons and Wheadons to sort out. And that doesn’t begin to tackle the Wheatons that stayed in England or moved to Canada and Australia.
Kelly Wheaton Copyright 2020. All Rights Reserved.